Call for Independent Topics
Introducing Independent Topics with MIT:
The next stage for the HKUST-MIT Research Alliance Consortium
The HKUST-MIT Research Alliance Consortium has been based on the use of technology clusters for the establishment of research projects. The clusters that are currently in operation are the Internet-of-Things (IoT) for Intelligent Buildings & Transportation, Data Science & E-Learning, Advanced Manufacturing and Biomedical Systems. These clusters are supported by 10 sponsoring companies and contain 16 research projects.
To extend and scale the Consortium beyond these technology clusters and engage more faculty in Hong Kong, we are establishing the Independent Topics Cluster.
The process will be divided into two phases, namely One-page Consortium Independent Topics Outline and ITSP Proposal. The process flow and time line are as follows:
- Call for Independent Topics – 3 Sep, 2018
- One-page Independent Topics Outline due to Consortium – 15 Nov, 2018
- Feedback and approval of submitted outline to Proposers – 15 Dec, 2018
- Signed sponsors agreements to Consortium – 31 Jan, 2019
- Full ITSP proposal due – March, 2019
- Results of ITC review – approximately by June, 2019
II. Independent Topics Mechanism
- Interested researchers in Hong Kong and MIT should work together to find a company that is willing to sponsor their pre-competitive research project idea.
- Interested researchers in Hong Kong and MIT should address both academic rigor and industrial relevance simultaneously through communicating and discussing with sponsors
- All proposals should be made under the research theme of Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC) that broadly includes Healthcare, Robotics and AI.
III. Sponsor Recruitment
Our world class universities partners (MIT, CityU, CUHK, PolyU, HKUST and HKU) are very attractive partners for sponsoring companies. Researchers can interest sponsors using our track record in precompetitive research over the past years.
- The total industry sponsorship should be no less than $500k/year ($1M for a 2 year project)
- One or more companies may act as sponsors but each must contribute equally and the minimum amount for any one company is $250k/year.
- The research should be pre-competitive in nature and the companies involved need to be capable of providing advice and directions.
IV. Requirement and Team Formation for Independent Topics Submission
- Faculty members in the Hong Kong UGC Universities with MIT partners are welcome to submit applications
- MIT must be one of the university partners. If MIT is not a partner, faculty members in the Hong Kong tertiary systems can apply to ITC without the Consortium’s assistance.
- Bi-annual reviews at HKUST and MIT would be required
- All proposals should be made under the research theme of Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC) and includes
- Healthcare (e.g. BioTech; Medical Devices; Medical Informatics)
- Applications using Robotics (e.g. Advanced Manufacturing; robotic surgery)
- Applications using AI (e.g. IoT; FinTech)
V. From Consortium Independent Topics Outline to ITSP Proposal
The consortium will review the outline in terms of its pre-competitive nature and provide feedback and approval. Subject to fulfilling the requirement of the one-page independent topics outline submission and acceptance, proposers will be invited to submit a full proposal to ITC for Tier 2 Platform Research. The proposal duration is 2 years. It is anticipated that the projects will be funded at HK$3.5M to HK$5M per year.
VI. Format of One-page Consortium Independent Topics Outline
- Proposed Project Title
- Sponsoring company name and contact person
- The total industry sponsorship
- Executive Summary (<200 words)
- Names and institutions of the Team members
All applications must be submitted in soft copy to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 15 Nov, 2018. An email reply shall be sent by the Consortium within 3 working days to confirm receipt of the outline. If you have any inquiries, please feel free to contact Ms. Rebecca Lee, Manager (Technical Marketing) of the Consortium at email@example.com Tel: 2358 8964.